MSR FUSE Labs 2014 internships in the Seattle area
FUSE Labs at Microsoft Research is seeking interns for 2014. For these positions, we are looking for graduate students from Computer Science, Information Science, Design, Media Studies, Social Science, and other fields with a focus on social computing and social media.
FUSE Labs is a research and development lab at Microsoft Research focused on the design, study, and development of socio-technical systems. We are a uniquely multidisciplinary team where you have the opportunity to work with developers, designers, and other researchers interested in building systems and studying them critically. Our goals are to contribute to the academic community as well as to invent the next generation of social technologies. Some of the topics that are currently of interest for FUSE Labs are civic media, creative collaboration, informal learning, communities of interest, hyperlocal media, information visualization, and machine learning applied to social data. That said, we are open to a diversity of methodologies.
We are planning to have an interdisciplinary cohort of interns working collaboratively. We are particularly interested in interns that show research experience and passion for the meaningful impact of social media in people’s lives.
The internships are 12-week paid internships in Redmond, Washington. The expected outcome of the internship is a prototype and/or a publishable scholarly paper for an academic journal or conference such as CHI, CSCW, ICWSM, TOCHI, JCMC, and others.
Interns are expected to collaborate with researchers, interns, and other members of the lab, give short presentations, and contribute to the life of the community.
The goals of the internship are to help the interns advance their own careers, encourage interdisciplinary collaboration, and contribute to FUSE Labs’ research efforts. There are also opportunities to engage with product groups at Microsoft.
Applicants from universities inside and outside of the United States are welcome to apply.
We will begin considering internship applications on January 10, 2014 and consider applications until all internship positions are filled.
- Fill out the online application form. Make sure to indicate that you prefer FUSE Labs and “social media” or “social computing.” You will need to list two recommenders through this form. Make sure your recommenders respond to the request for letters.
- Alert us of your application by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following:
- Description of why you’re particularly interested in working with us.
- Link to your website, portfolio, or CV.
- Short description of 1-3 projects that you might imagine doing as an intern.
- Emma Spiro, UC Irvine Sociology (now faculty at UW)
- J. Nathan Matias, MIT Media Lab
- Yuheng Hu, ASU Computer Science
- Erin Smith, NYU ITP
- Ilwon Yoon, NYU ITP
- Behzod Sirjani, UW HCDE (now at Facebook)
- Sarah Hallacher, NYU ITP
- Cindy Wong, NYU ITP (now at Bing)
- Iris Howley, CMU HCII
- Peyina Lin, UW iSchool
Read more about the 2013 cohort.