Check out this great opportunity to work with our colleague Sean Rintel in the MSR UK lab!
The Human Experience & Design group is seeking a Research Assistant to support work on communication technology projects, with a focus on video-mediated communication. This is a 12-month full-time position on-site in Cambridge, UK.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop experience in corporate research and the intersection of academic, company, and customer impact. You should be a self-starter with a passion for exploring the social aspects of communication technology design and use. You will contribute to background, data collection, and management of ongoing cross-organisational projects and potentially the development of new projects. While publication is not guaranteed, co-authorship may be possible.
· Sourcing and curating relevant research materials
· Developing annotated bibliographies, literature reviews, and background briefings
· Assisting with research project management
· Assisting with field, lab, and/or survey data collection and coding
· Assisting with demo development and recording
· Assisting with event organization
· Participating in Hackathons and other internal events
· Bachelors, Masters (preferred), or PhD in HCI, Communication, Information Studies or a related social science or humanities field (e.g. Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Media Studies). Applicants who are PhD graduates should note that the RA position is primarily aimed at existing research support rather than developing a personal trajectory of research
· Experience or interest working on the social aspects of communication technology, especially video-mediated communication
· Strong skills in academic research
· Strong skills in organisation, time-management, and collaborative work
· Strong spoken and written English
· Work authorization is required
This position would suit applicants with varying goals. It might suit emerging scholars planning to apply to technology-oriented PhD programs who want to develop their research skills and area expertise before entering a graduate program. It might also suit graduates at any level who are considering a career in user experience and technology development.
Applications must include the following:
· Curriculum Vitae
· One-page personal statement, including a description of research experience and training, interests, and professional goals
· Writing sample (preferably a literature review or a scholarly-styled article)
· Links to online presence (e.g. blog, homepage, Twitter, journalistic endeavours, etc.)
· The names and email addresses of two recommenders
Please ensure that all attachment file names include your surname e.g. CV-surname.
We will begin reviewing applications immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
To ask any questions about this position, please email to Sean Rintel (firstname.lastname@example.org).